Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Another week...

So right now the biggest thing on my mind is that me and Amy have just volunteered to lead the children's program that is going along with the evangelistic meetings that our church is putting on in Kagman, one of the villages in Saipan. The meetings are every night for two weeks we have to plan 16 nights of Sabbath School/VBS-type programs. And it all starts in like 4 days! Yikes! So that is going to be my life for the next two weeks.

On Friday night we had a birthday party for Jessica at the compound. It's always awesome to actually get together with everyone and not be working. This Sabbath the staff went to Kagman after church to invite people to the meetings and it was pouring rain so that was exciting. Saturday night us apartment people went to Derek and Myla's and we had a fondue party (mmmmm...)! The next morning Missy and I went diving at Obyan with the Piersons, Mark and Tammie, and this other couple, Rusty and Julie. It was, of course, awesome! I saw quite a few lionfish. When we were in the parking lot, we were talking to this lady and she was showing us her diving wounds-she got attacked by a triggerfish and her leg was all black and blue. I guess triggerfish are super aggressive-they won't kill you or anything but they can take some chunks out of you! I was scared when I found out what they actually look like because it turns out that during our dive I was letting them get super close to my face and stuff, that could have been really bad! Anyway, on our way back Missy gave me my first lesson driving stick shift in good old Rusty the truck (I only stalled 7 or 8 times...:). So that was kind of exciting. In the meantime Veronyka, Jessica, Judith, Mae, Amy, and Sean were having their first water session for scuba class. Missy and I went snorkeling while they were having their lesson and I saw a bunch more triggerfish! I got super sunburned, I thought my face was going to peel right off, but actually it is totally gone now. On Monday night there was this huge party at our apartment, there were tons of people, they totally blocked the street with tables and cars and stuff. In our neighborhood they have parties like that all the time-lound islandy music, setting up tables in the street, and enough meat to feed a pride of starving lions! It's neat, though, that so many people get together, you can sense the community. Work is going pretty well, though this week we are having a hard time because of people being sick but oh well, what can ya do. The preschool's enrollment is doing well-we are actually having to turn people away. Well anyway, I have to go and plan this program, wish me luck!

5 comments:

Ronda said...

I saw a couple of pics of you on ken & crystals blog. how beautiful! randi and i are going to leoni for jr/sr bible conference this weekend. then mindy bills is getting married on sunday. wish you were here!

Sean said...

We'll be praying for you, Riki. You guys are gonna do great and I know there's a lot of people that want to help out. It'll come together.

Minisavage said...

How are your meetings going? That sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure you'll do a great job! I miss you friend! oh, and one more thing, you'd be proud, I only eat cheese maybe once a week if I'm lucky...

marlene said...

Hi Riki, Good to read about all your anventures!! Sounds like the diving is really awesome there. Keep up the good work - Marlene (Mini-savages Mom) hehe

Eunice Sackett said...

HI, Rik!
Just want you to know that I am thinking of you - I think of you lots! I love reading your blogs and picturing your adventures. What great memories you are making! But I do really miss you!
Love you much!
Grandma E.