Thursday, November 8, 2007

So it's been a while...

...since my last update. The meetings in Kagman went really well. For the first few nights, we were outside under a little tent, but then this store across the street cleared out a huge space for us in their store, so we had the rest of the meetings there. It was super awesome of them! At first, not a lot of kids showed up, but as the weeks went on, more and more started coming. They were so much fun! I loved leading out the song service, they were so enthusiastic. I enjoyed hanging out with kids older than 4. Don't get me wrong, I love my students, but it's just different, you can't really have an intelligent conversation with them (or even really a conversation, they won't stay in one place long enough :) ). Anyway, we kind of made friends with the store owners and of course with the kids. It was really exhausting though. I would get home at like 5:20 and we would leave for Kagman at just before 6. The meetings supposedly got over at 8 but it never really happened so we got home at like 9:30 every night. Even so, I was kind of sad when they ended because the kids were so cute and fun. The second to last night, they were all giving us hugs and stuff and they were running after our car as we were leaving! It was really a blessing to be able to create a relationship with those kids. Actually the Kagman meetings were extended for a week but we decided not to continue the kids program because we were absolutely exhausted. I feel kind of bad but I guess that we are going to have a Sabbath school type thing/party/game time once a month to follow up, so hopefully I get to see them all again.

The Sunday before Halloween I was super excited because Missy and I were going to be in an underwater pumpkin-carving contest, but then I got sick so I couldn't go, I was so bummed.
Other random fun things: running, snorkeling, cooking, shopping, playing with my kids, laughing, it's all good

Saipanism of the Day:
No, those red spots you see all over the street are not rust stains...it's the result of half the island chewing betelnut and spitting it out their car window. Yeah, kinda gross.

2 comments:

Sean said...

Great job with the kids, Riki. That's great that you're going to stay in touch with them. I saw at least one of the kids at Kagman Elementary School when REAL was performing there. I don't know her name but I recognized her and she recognized me and came up and gave me a big hug.

Rock on, Riki!

Minisavage said...

I hear you on the Betelnut thing, mmm, gotta love those red teeth! haha. Sounds like your meetings went well. I can't believe you missed the underwater pumpkin carving contest!!! That sounded like fun. I can't wait to see you!!