Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Preschoolers, pets, pancakes and more!

I got a Photobucket account which I am going to put all of my pictures. I still might post a few in my actual blog but I need to find a faster internet connection! Java Joe's internet cafe place by the laundromat isn't the fastest connection ever :) Right now I am still working on setting it up so I'm afraid I don't have it yet, hopefully soon...

So school is pretty much in full swing. On my first day, I was in the classroom getting myself all psyched up for the day and the first kid walks in with her parents. She takes one look around the classroom and me and she bursts out crying. I was like oh man, I hope this isn't a bad sign about the rest of the year! But it wasn't so bad. The first few days I was kind of frustrated because I didn't feel like I knew what was going on and I wished that the school was more structured. Now it is going better, since the staff is getting to know each other better and the routine is kind of settling down. We are still in the process of making lots of changes though. One thing is for sure though-I love my kids! They are loud and obnoxious and distractible but they are also adorable and sweet. I have a total of 14 kids but they aren't all there at the same time-they come and go throughout the day, though most of them are there for the morning. Most of my kids are Korean or Japanese-some of them barely speak any English, which is challenging. The third day of school, my Japanese kids taught me how to count to ten in Japanese :) My kids are cute and stuff but I think that most of them are used to getting their own way at home and not being told what to do. Also they like to pretend that they can't understand me so that they don't have to do whatever it is that I'm telling them to do. One thing that is challenging about my job is the long day-I am teaching/watching kids/cleaning my classroom from 7:30am to about 5:45pm. I don't really have time to do anything after work because it gets dark at about 6. Overall though I am really happy and I love my job. At first I wasn't exactly thrilled about my rooming situation but now it's going really well. We have some new members of the 'family'-I found three kittens behind the preschool! They were sitting there in the rain and they were in pretty bad shape. But now they are doing great. I still don't know what we are going to do with them because our apartment is definately not big enough for two people and three cats. We'll just see what happens.

Random Trivia of My Life
-I start the day with either banana pancakes, apple pancakes, or mango pancakes. EVERY day.
-Asian kids are SO cute!
-I love the warm water here!
-You CAN get used to being nasty and sweaty all the time.
-When in doubt, get out the play dough.
-One word: SUNSCREEN (ouch)
-I am one of the only people around that has blue eyes.
-Air conditioning is one of the best inventions ever.
-Shell hunting is addicting.

Saipanism of the Day
air con- air conditioning

4 comments:

Mai said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your job. You'd have a really tough year if you didn't. Other things are bearable, but not enjoying your job - especially when you're there that long - would totally ruin the year for you. I'm glad you're here.....and we gotta hang out more - I barely see you!

Ross said...

Hey Riki,
Glad I found your blog. Did you name the kittens? There's a cat the hangs around my duplex in Salt Lake. Jeff Rudolf (my roommate) named it Michael Jackson because it's mostly black with a little bit of white. Glad to hear that you're liking your job. That's alway a plus. Well, keep the blogs coming and enjoy your "air con." haha!

Bev said...

Glad you are finally getting settled in! If you can't find a good home for the kittens we have a program called PAWS that can help find homes for them! Can't wait to spend more time with you.

Sean said...

"Air con"--that's a good one. I'm so used to it I'd kind of forgotten it was a Saipan thing.

Glad things are going well for you. Remember, if things are difficult whether at work or at home Barbara and I are always available. Just let us know about anything that might be bothering you or is hard for you and we'll do our best to help you out. We want you to have a happy, successful, and rewarding year out here.