Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Written like halfway through January...

I used to blog every week back when nothing really was going on, but now I am too busy doing fun and interesting things to write about them! But I’ll try to at least record a brief report of the past month of my life

The preschool put on a mini-musical called ‘The Littlest Christmas Tree.’ It was so adorable! The kids looked so cute in their costumes (which included bunnies, deer, birds, and trees) and they sang so well (for 2-4 year olds anyway)! The elementary school’s production was also really well done, it was a great program overall!

We got 2 new ESL teachers from the Phillipines, Antonee and Girlie. Our school does a ‘winter ESL’ program and a lot of students come from Korea for a few months to attend. It

I went to Pohnpei for Christmas break. It was so awesome to see you Katie! I had an awesome time riding in the back of the truck, hiking/climbing, carving ivorynut, diving/riding in the boat and just hanging out at the compound. It went way too fast of course, and I was sad to leave.

But I was super excited because my family came to visit me! They got here a day after I got back. Words cannot describe how incredibly fun it was to have them here, so maybe these pictures can do better.


This week I lucked out and didn’t end up going back to work until Wednesday. So on Monday I cleaned up the disaster that was my apartment and on Tuesday Missy and I spent the day relaxing at the spa. Afterward, the preschool staff had our meeting at Taco Bell, which was a good time! It was actually kind of nice to go back to work. I missed my kids! Another fun thing that happened on Wednesday was that my wonderful neighbors Missy and Amy hosted a fondue party (mmmm…..) and we watched Chocolat.

On Friday, Amy and I went snorkeling and we saw an eagle ray!

Saturday after church we had a potluck to welcome our newest teacher, Cornell. He’s an older Australian gentleman and he’s taught on a bunch of different islands, he’s a cool guy.

Sunday was our school’s Walk-A-Thon. We are trying to raise money for a new school building.

Right now in my class we are talking about plants, so it’s really fun coming up with activities for that. We are watching our beans sprouting (in plastic bags taped to the window, but hey, they still think it’s cool) and learning the names and functions of the basic parts of a plant. I brought in a coconut sapling (isn’t that what you call baby trees? It doesn’t sound quite right in this context but oh well). You know, the ones that are sprouting right out of the coconut. My kids thought it was the coolest thing ever. You’d think they’d never seen a palm tree before or something. That’s what I love about kids- they are so enthusiastic even about seemingly ordinary things.
Last night was the preschool’s Family Night. We had it at Kilili Beach park. There was a pretty good turnout. We had a potluck and played games. I think the kids had a lot of fun, we had a bounce house and we were also right next to the playground.

I am halfway done with the school year! I don’t know whether to feel happy or sad. I have to admit, I’m a little on the sad side. I mean, it will be nice to live near my family and friends again, but I’m going to miss my Saipan family/friends so much! I don’t want to think about it. I am just going to try to make the most of each moment I have left here. I hope it doesn’t go to fast, but usually the last half of things tends to go faster than the first half. I guess the first half has gone kind of fast, but it also feels like I’ve been here forever. I don’t know how that works but whatever.

Plus, I feel like when I finally get the hang of being a teacher, the school year will be over…

3 comments:

Ronda said...

Wow! You sure have a crazy family!! And who taught you girls to be so silly? That was such an awesome trip. We all wish we were back there!

Eunice Sackett said...

Hi, Rik.... I love your blogs! Mom keeps me up on most things, but I love to read your stuff because you writy just like you talk! It makes me feel like we are closer.
I just got a new dog, Jake. He is a rescue dog -that means he was rescued from DEATH at the kennel. He is a great little guy -part doxie and part terrier, I think(who knows!),about two years old. He motivates me to get walking. this is good!
Can't wait to see you SOON!

Mai said...

Yay! Another post from you! Now that you have access to free wireless internet 24/7, I hope to see more pictures and posts! I'm glad you're finally all moved in!