Saturday, December 15, 2007

December (so far)

It's December! It totally does NOT feel Christmasy around here. I feel like it's permanently summer. They try though-stores have out their lights and Christmas decorations. It feels like a joke to me. Don't get me wrong, I am super excited about Christmas too-I am having my students make all sorts of Christmas decorations and stuff too, it's fun.



The student that I consider the most challenging moved to California. Even though the classroom is more peaceful without her, I was sad to see her go because we had invested so much time and effort into teaching her. I hope that she will continue being guided in behaving appropriately because if she is not, she is going to have major problems as she gets older. One of the kids at school got lice, so we had to check all the kids' heads. We didn't find any cases that day, but the worst was to come...



December 1 was the school's talent show and I have to say it was the funniest, cutest talent show I've ever seen, with the talents ranging from jump-roping to poetry to Tae Kwon Do to somersaults. Me and Ana were one of the 2 musical acts, we did a uke/guitar version of a Norah Jones song.



The next day, Missy and I went diving with Ken and Crystal and Mark and Tammi to Obyan, and it was amazing! The visibility was awesome and there was so much to see. We even saw a pretty big octupus! So the day started out awesome, but it quickly took a turn for the worst when, after diving, I discovered that I had become the new host for the little creatures that my students brought to school with them in their hair. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!! I was having a minor meltdown when Eva came home. I was afraid she might get freaked out, but she just whipped out the lice removing kit that she had so intelligently brought from home. After I used it I washed every fabric thing in our apartment and bleached the heck out of the rest of it. So that was an interesting experience that I would not care to have again. I haven't worn my hair down to school since then!



So even though the month started out with some not-so-greatness, it's been going pretty well. Especially since I get to go to Pohnpei next week, and then my family comes! Yay!

Saipanism of the Day
ever since: 'a long time' or 'since forever' or something
For example our car is so old...it's been around ever since. (A true statement, I'm afraid.)

2 comments:

Sean said...

Sorry about the little lice episode. It happens though, when you work around kids and have long hair.

Course the easy way to solve that problem is to just cut off all your hair.

Which is what I did. . .

Which is why I no longer have dreadlocks.. .

(shhhh. . .don't tell anyone) :)

Hope you're having fun in Pohnpei.

The Beachcomber said...

Hope you are enjoying Pohnpei. It's beautiful there. Too bad. If I knew you were going, I would have asked you to look for coconut rope for me. Enjoy!