Tuesday, September 18, 2007

working hard and playing hard

I've been writing this over the course of a few days so it might sound kind of weird but here it goes...

Yikes it’s been awhile…I didn’t write my usual last time Tuesday blog because I had to use the internet for other things. I need to start writing them ahead of time so that it is faster Last week was cool because I finally got my package from home with my ukulele, my scuba stuff, books, and all sorts of random stuff in it. Yay! I ended up doing special music for Sabbath school again but this time I played the uke and sang. It was a lot better than the first time! On Sabbath afternoon, we went out in groups of 3 or 4 and went door to door inviting people to our church’s upcoming evangelistic meetings and also just visiting them and getting to know them. I was super scared-we were basically just supposed to go up to some person we saw on their porch or something and strike up a conversation (that eventually would lead into an invitation to our meetings) while making a good impression of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. But it actually went really well. I was with Eva and Veronyka and we visited two families. The first family had a bunch of kids and they were really friendly and welcoming. The second family we talked to was out in their front yard with their machetes picking coconuts and cracking them open. When we walked up, they gave us each a fresh coconut to drink. It was really cool! I was really blessed by the whole experience-the people were really open and welcoming, and they were actually willing to talk about Jesus and church. I don’t know if they will come to the meetings or not but honestly I don’t really think that is the most important thing. After we finished visiting people, the staff had sundown worship on the beach and then we went out to dinner. On Sunday Missy took Amy, Eva and I to PIC which is kind of like a tiny little water park. It was awesome-it was like a mini-vacation! This week was kind of hard because I was sick for half of it but I had to go to work anyway because someone else got sick first and we can’t run the preschool if we lose more than 1 staff member. We still have the kittens-I hope we find them a home soon! They are getting so big and they are still so cute. At the preschool we have it worked out that each Friday someone gets off of work early and today was my day! I went to Wing Beach with Eva and Veronyka.

On Sabbath Eva and I ended up being recruited to do the scripture and the offering call like 5 minutes before church so that was exciting. It was potluck Sabbath which is always awesome (I made blueberry muffins). After church I got to talk to my daddy and my sister which was really nice. Then Eva, Missy, Amy, Judith, Veronyka, Peterson, and I went to Ladder Beach. It is a beautiful little beach with a cool little cave and stuff. After that, Missy, Mai, Veronyka, Eva, Judith and I went to the crepe place with Derek and Myla, this young couple from church. I had a chocolate/banana crepe and it was AMAZING! Mmmmmm. Sunday was such an awesome day. Eva and I woke up early and hiked down to Forbidden Island. I think that it is one of my favorite places on the island. There are lots of little tide pools and a few bigger pools and there are always lots of beautiful fish to see. I guess it’s actually pretty dangerous though-I hear that lots of people have died there. But we are always super careful (probably even more than we need to be but I’d rather have it that way). Anyway, it’s a nice challenging hike (but not too long) and a beautiful place so it was awesome. Then Missy, Amy, Eva, Bev, Mai, Judith and I went to a spa for the rest of the day. It was amazing, especially after a crazy week. It was so awesome that I almost feel guilty. I’m supposed to be out in the mission field toughing it out. I know that just because I have access to some ‘luxurious’ things doesn’t mean that I’m not a missionary but still it feels kind of like cheating in a way. But I have to say it was pretty awesome!

Don't worry, I'm still definately being challenged at work. Let's face it, trying to keep 14 4-year-olds under control and maybe even teach them something all day is quite simply a lot of work. The hardest part is to stay calm and be consistent. Sometimes I am tempted to just pretend I don't notice when a rule is broken because I just get sick of it but I know that if I do that they will just walk all over me. It is hard though, because it seems to me like the other teachers sometimes let things go 'undisciplined' or discipline inconsistently. I know that it is impossible to be completely and totally fair and consistent but I am trying. I am trying to have more boundaries and procedures in my classroom with clear consequences if they are broken. It takes a lot of work obviously but hopefully when the kids get used to the systems it will be easier. I know the whole thing that I just said is something that probably all teachers know but it's just one of those things.

This weekend is our staff retreat so we don't have school on Friday!

7 comments:

Brittany said...

Hey Riki! I'm so excited that I actually read your blog on the same day you posted it! I'm glad you got to go to the spa. I think it's normal to feel a bit guilty about it, but don't worry about relaxing. You really need to recharge your batteries after a tough week, even if you are a missionary. I kinda think "toughing it" is overrated. Anyway, keep up the hard work and keep striving to be consistent with the kids, even though it's hard. Much love! ~Brittany

Sean said...

Rikki, it sounds like you are doing awesome.

And never, never, never, feel guilty about the Mandi. That place reminds me of heaven which motivates me to be an even better missionary! :)

jana luce said...

Hi Riki,

So great to get to keep up with your activities there. Makes me feel closer despite the vast miles between us. I am so glad that you are watching out for the kittens. A girl after my own heart!!

Love you lots,

Auntie Jana

Ronda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ronda said...

Riki...You know how I LOVE to hear about everything you are doing so thanks for posting the blog. I'm so proud of you! I would say that you definitely need to stay consistent as you can with the kids. You're right on track there so keep it up. I'm getting SO anxious to come over there. The time just can't go fast enough! I miss you tons!

Mom

Unknown said...

hi Riki,

I am really enjoying reading your blog. How great to go to the beach so often. I hope you are feeling better. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep up the good work at school.

Love, Debbie

Otty and Bella. said...

A Spa?!? Sweet. You probably needed it. If you're happy, your kids should be happy(er). :-) Keep up the good work!